Getting started with STM32F746G-DISCO

Dilanka

Hello,

I have a STM32F746G-DISCO board and I want to design GUI for that board as below picture with help of this ugfx software. Also that GUI should be able to use hardware features. Such as UART, SPI, GPIO and TCP/IP connection. But I am a newbie for STM32F746G-DISCO and ugfx software. So I need to know step by step how to configure STM32F746G-DISCO board with the ugfx software to design GUI and how can I use hardware features in GUI.

Home.png

Hello @Dilanka and welcome to the µGFX community!

The GUI mock-up that you're showing is definitely something that you can implement with the µGFX library.

First, you have to decide what underlying system you want to be using. The µGFX library has been designed to work with virtually any operating system or bare metal. The choice of the underlying system often already dictates what IDE (development environment) you'll be using. For example, if you want to work with something like RTX then you'll have to use the Keil µVision IDE. Once you know what underlying system and what development environment you want to be using you can either start by taking an existing "hello world" project (a project that flashes the LED of your board but that doesn't contain any µGFX yet) and then add µGFX to that. Alternatively, you can use one of the existing ready-to-run projects that already come with a µGFX integration. For example, this project created by our community member @cpu20 is a ready-to-run project for the STM32F746G-Discovery board and the free (open source) development environment SW4STM32: 

Hello @Joel Bodenmann,

Thank you for the response. First of all I want to clarify that whether I can design the above given GUI using µGFX (in the stated GUI it has progress circle animation and similar animating icons).

Furthermore  in my project I want to enable I2C,SPI,UART and TCP/IP communication protocols, as you mentioned earlier, is it possible to implement the communication protocol methods using third party IDE and integrate those methods to the µGFX. If it is possible can you provide some reference documents so I can implement my design.

Thank you.

8 hours ago, Dilanka said:

Thank you for the response. First of all I want to clarify that whether I can design the above given GUI using µGFX (in the stated GUI it has progress circle animation and similar animating icons).

Yes, you can do all of that with the µGFX library. Of course things like that circular process circle doesn't exist yet but you can easily create a custom widget. Everything you need to do that already exists. Things like texts, images and buttons and so on are already there out of the box.

8 hours ago, Dilanka said:

Furthermore  in my project I want to enable I2C,SPI,UART and TCP/IP communication protocols, as you mentioned earlier, is it possible to implement the communication protocol methods using third party IDE and integrate those methods to the µGFX. If it is possible can you provide some reference documents so I can implement my design.

Is this a hobby project or a commercial project? Already that would have a big impact on what you'd use.
My personal recommendation (at this point, without knowing more information about your project and your goal) is to take the latest ChibiStudio and start playing with the STM32F746G-Discovery demo. Once you feel comfortable working with ChibiOS you can add µGFX. There's a guide in our wiki that explains how to add µGFX to an existing ChibiStudio project. It's straight forward.

I am doing a small and interactive GUI based project in my undergraduate studies. Since using this is really new I am unable to achieve what I want. At least can you guide me to develop an interactive GUI only using customized buttons, text boxes and label with images. 

On 12.09.2017 at 10:44, Joel Bodenmann said:

Those are µGFX library projects. They have nothing to do with the µGFX-Studio. They were written without using the µGFX-Studio.

Hi Joel. Thanks for your library. I'm tried yesterday many demos it seems amazing.

Is it possible import these projects to uGFX studio? This would be very useful for beginners.

For me also very interesting how I can do similar GUI for my aquarium. But I'm a beginner.

Edited by TheProdigalCat