Linux Keyboard Driver

PaulS

Hi,

I'm evaluating uGFX (Board: Linux-Framebuffer-Touch) and so far it is working well and it I love how small / lightweight it is.   Perhaps I'm missing something but there does not appear to be support for a Linux keyboard.   I am not running X or SDL so the keyboard would come in via the /input/event subsystem.   Clearly there is support for the input/event subsystem for touch (its working for me) but it seems keyboards are only partially supported.

Am I missing something or does a driver need to be written or has anybody done this yet or  ???

Thanks for any help!

-Paul

Hello @PaulS and welcome to the µGFX community!

I can confirm that there is support for the touch via input system but currently none for the keyboard. It's simply missing because nobody needed it so far - there's no technical limitation or something. So it's really just a matter of writing the driver which shouldn't be too hard.

There is a keyboard driver as part of the X multiple driver that should show you the simple mechanism for doing a keyboard without layout support (multiple language and scan code support). A keyboard without layout is equivalent to a "cooked" terminal under linux.

If you want full layout support then look at the Win32 keyboard driver. Although the layout is only implemented for a US keyboard it does demonstrate the scancode to ascii conversion engine using a set of tables for each language layout.

Thank you for the input but I am still a bit lost...

In my use case there is a hard keypad with up to 21 keys.   I can write code to open the event subsystem in Linux, read scan codes and convert them to ASCII characters.

My confusion is how to hook this up in uGFX.

Does the new driver need to be created under ginput/keyboard (none exists now)?

Does a new board file need to be created or can the Linux-Framebuffer-Touch board be modified to include keyboard support?

Unfortunately the keyboard examples are under multiple for X, SDL and Windows and these seem much more complicated than what I need to do.

Thanks again!