Cyrillic characters and font converter

king2

I want to use cyrillic characters and as well as latin, digits and some symbols like 'micro'. How can I convert font? What should I supply as range? 0-451 to get digits and cyrillic chars?

Can I supply multiply ranges to get rid of characters that I do not need?

Thanks!

update: online converter has maxlength=1 in custom range fields. :)

Please have a look at this article: http://wiki.ugfx.org/index.php/Font_rendering

It will lead you through the process of adding your own fonts (see the Adding fonts) section. The article contains links to both the online font converter as well as to a wikipedia page that contains tables for all languages to figure out the required filter range.

Back when we added unicode support we even created a dedicated article talking about Cyrillic: http://wiki.ugfx.org/index.php/Cyrillic

It's currently not possible to specify multiple filter ranges. If the gap is big enough it might make sense to simply generate two font files.

We hope that helps.

~ Tectu

I have read both articles and finally got font (maybe it will be useful to write in online converter that custom range should be set not in character codes, but by characters itself?)

I got file with size of 251k.

I cannot use two fonts because I have to use digits and cyrillic chars in one text.

I think multiple ranges is a good idea to save firmware space.

The limiting factor regarding multiple filter ranges is the web interface (the online converter), not the actual converter itself.

You can manually convert your font using the font encoder which you can find under /tools/mcufontencoder/. The filter parameter takes an unlimited amount of range parameter.

We should probably add this option to the online converter as well :P

~ Tectu

No, it won't work at all.

When I trying to run it with command:

mcufont import_ttf scada.ttf 20

it terminates with message:

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.

Please contact the application's support team for more information.

I have tried this on Windows 8 64-bit and Windows XP 32-bit with same result.

I have tried to convert font DejaVuSans.ttf from fonts directory - same error.

update: My friend gave me access to linux shell where linux binary runs fine without core dump (on second try), so I can convert fonts now. Multi-range is working, thank you! But windows binary needs to be repaired..

• 7 months later...

Hi,

Seems the issue is not fixed yet, because I have the same problem. 

I'm starting the mcufont.exe under windows command prompt in the same folder where the all dll's are, i.e. D:\MyPaticularPathToTheUGFLibrary\tools\mcufontencoder\binaries\windows, but got the same error.

The OS is Windows 7 Pro 64.

I'm trying to use the local font converter, because I need to specify multiple ranges as "king2".

Make sure your source control fetcher is fetching mcufont.exe and the dlls in binary (not in ascii mode unlike the source code). The mcufont.exe definitely works. I run it on Win10 64bit and the original exe was compiled on win7 64bit.

If you have no success in getting a valid executable then the source code can be directly compiled using the supplied windows makefile and either a cygwin compiler or a mingw32 compiler. I haven't tried vcc (the microsoft compiler). If you compile under windows go directly to the mcufont encoder directory and compile from there rather than from the mcufont root as the mcufont test harness doesn't compile under windows.

• 2 weeks later...