µgfx & ESP32 & micropython

mcc

Hi,

today I managed to setup a micropython "development environment" <cough> on my GENTOO Linux, with which I am able to compile micropython for a ESP32 board (TTGO T-Energy). The board type isn't relevant here...it is mostly "generic ESP32".

I want to integrate µGFX for private use into my copy of micropython to use it with my ESP32 board.

Before possibly inventing just another version of that wheel: Is there any port known, which does exactly this or can be used as starting point -- a search in the forum only leads me to some sort of badge, which hardware I don't know ?

Thanks a lot for any help in advance!
Cheers!
mcc

Hi Joel,

thanks for your reply. That badge is the one I was referring to in my initial posting. Will try that...according to their repo the micropython, they used is a fork
of the original one and wasn't touched in the last three years...a long time when it comes to software development.
...will see, what I can make of it..

Cheers!
mcc

The current µGFX release (v2.9) introduces new types to make the interface more consistent and future proof. However, there's a define named GFX_COMPAT_V2 which makes the "old" types still available. This macro is by default on/enabled (in the main configuration file). Therefore, using the existing micropython port with the latest µGFX release should be a comparably easy task.

Other than that: We're happy to help where we can. This forum is always at your disposal :)
We'd certainly like to see an updated/active/maintained micropython port for the µGFX library.

Late answer to your initial post: The badge is STM32L4 based.

Hi Joel,

I am at the very beginning with micropython/ESP32...will see, what I can do...

One thing: I think, it will be "illegal" (sorry, the word is much to strong...I an no native speaker...) to provide a port of micropython with µGFX already be included,
because micropython is used in the industry (commercially) and µGFX has as different licencing scheme for private and commercial use?
I think it is problematic to mix two licencing schemes in one repo?

If the badge is STM32L4 based I have to take care of this... :)

Cheers!
mcc

• 3 weeks later...

Mixing licenses is not usually a problem unless one of the licenses is expansive i.e. it tries to govern source code not explicitly licensed under its own license. The most obvious example here is GPL which says you need to publish source code for the entire project (not just the GPL portion) if you distribute a binary. This is called "copy-left" and is incredibly restrictive particularly for commercial applications or when other source code in the system has intellectual property considerations. LGPL however is perfectly fine. Somewhere on the ugfx site or in the documentation is a good explanation of this particularly with regard to GPL.

As always when mixing licenses you need to meet the conditions on each license.