GDISP only with framebuffer

pgeiem

Hy all,

I am new to uGFX and would like to use it in a new project.

This project use a 640 x 480 TFT display connected directly to the TFT controller of my microcontroler.

I have a large 8Mbyte external SDRAM that will be used as frame buffer and heap.

I have the idea to use only the GDISP module as I have no OS and I am interested only by text rendering and images support.

I have seen that uGFX is more designed for external display controller with low internal RAM. Do you think it would work easily in my application ?

Do you have already a mode for large frame buffer ? What part of GOS do I have to port for GDISP ?

Thanks in advance for your help

Hello pgeiem and welcome to the community!

Looks like you're just in time! We have added a generic framebuffer driver for the GDISP module just yesterday. You can find it under /drivers/gdisp/framebuffer: https://bitbucket.org/Tectu/ugfx/src/1f ... ?at=master

To use it, you only have to write the board file. The board file is the interface between the software driver and your actual hardware. You can find a corresponding template in the drivers directory.

About the GOS port: You can use the raw32 port which is also part of the official uGFX repository. The port allows it to run uGFX on any bare-bone system. To make it run, you only have to implement/provide the following two functions inside your project:

systemticks_t gfxSystemTicks(void);
systemticks_t gfxMillisecondsToTicks(delaytime_t ms);

The first routine gets a "tick" time from the hardware. The 2nd routine converts a number of milliseconds to a number of ticks (normally just a division by a fixed number).

I hope that helps. Let us know should you face any problems.

~ Tectu