gdispGDrawStringBox, anti-aliasing and STM32 LTDC

vrollei

Hello @vrollei and welcome to the µGFX community!

First of all: The gdispFillString() and the gdispFillStringBox() functions don't require pixel read-back as one of the parameters is the background color. The other string rendering functions require pixel read-back in order to render the text anti-aliased. The STM32LTDC driver already implements pixel read-back so everything should work out of the box.

Most likely you simply forgot to use a font that comes with anti-aliasing. In order to minimize the memory requirements regular fonts don't have anti-aliasing support. You can enable anti-aliasing support when converting the font. Alternatively, you can use one of the built-in fonts that support anti-aliasing.

I hope that helps. Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any further questions.

Hello, Joel!

Thanks for reply!

I use this font:

#define GDISP_INCLUDE_FONT_DEJAVUSANS20_AA       TRUE

And set widget's font:

dejavu_sans_20_anti_aliased = gdispOpenFont("DejaVuSans20_aa");

gwinSetFont(ghPicker, dejavu_sans_20_anti_aliased);

The result is chars with white dots in the corner and around the char.

gdispGFillStringBox function works fine.

We will add it to our list of bugs to solve. Hopefully i will have time to look at it this week.

What it interesting is that it is only the zeros that seem to have the problem. It doesn't appear on the 1 or the colon. Can you please confirm if the rest of the character set has the problem.

The reason I ask is to determine whether it is a font or drawing problem.

@vrollei Sorry for the late reply, currently having too much on our plate.

As @inmarket mentioned it's very interesting to see that it appears to only happen with the '0' glyph. If you could print some A - Z and 0 - 9 set of that font (and a different font) to confirm whether it's just with the '0' or not that would be very helpful.
At first I thought this might be an issue with the first read-back being inaccurate which would indicate requiring a dummy read. However, this really just happens with externally connected framebuffers where the parasitic charges haven't been discharged properly. Also, this can't be the case because your manual gdispSetPixel() / gdispGetPixel() test was successful.

I have updated the font demo. @vrollei, can you please run that demo (but with GDISP_NEED_PIXELREAD set to TRUE) and show us the results.

If you are using an orientation other than 0 degrees please rerun the test at different orientations.

I have tested on Win32 and everything appears to work perfectly. This tells us that the problem must be driver or hardware specific.

I suspect that the problem might be something to do with FMSC RAM read timings as the framebuffer is in external RAM for the STM32LTDC and the problem is looking like a pixel read-back problem.

@Joel Bodenmann, can you please have a look at initialisation for those timings please.