Need help with IL9341 and ugfx

ep.hobbyiest

Hi,

I am very new to tft kinda display. Till now i used different displays like 128x64 glcd. i have il9341 lcd. here is link.  http://static.sunrom.com/p/551/551_1_800.jpg

Can i use SPI interface instead of 16-bit parellel with this?

is there any sample example with nucleo ?

I am using Nucleo401re. So, its bit pain to collect 16 data pin as it become messy.

The ILI9341 itself would offer an SPI interface. However, unfortunately you won't be able to use SPI with this display module that you are showing. You have to use it with the parallel interface. Note that you should be able to use it in 8-bit mode instead of 16-bit mode which would free you from making 8 connections. Usually there is a jumper to select the 8-bit vs. the 16-bit mode. Judging from the picture this could be J1 but please check with the datasheet of the display module to be sure.

Worthwhile to note is that the display will be more than twice as fast in 16-bit mode than in 8-bit mode and probably around 10 times faster in 8-bit mode than SPI mode.
In order to keep the CPU load low and to increase the overall speed & performance, you should connect the display to the FSMC peripheral of the STM32.

We don't have a ready-to-run example for your specific setup (Nucleo401RE + ILI9341 over parallel). This would also depend on what underlying system you'd like to use (bare metal, ChibiOS, FreeRTOS, ...). However, there's a Nucleo401RE example available in the download section which uses ChibiOS/RT and an SSD1306 based display. You should be able to modify that and using the various example board files in /boards you should be able to write the board file for your setup. If you want to use a baremetal system (no underlying operating system) instead we recommend using a working example/demo project from another source and adding uGFX to that.

The most important thing is not to get discouraged. These systems are very complex and the fact that the µGFX library runs on virtually any system with tons of different configuration options doesn't make it easier. It can take you a while to see how things plug together. Don't get discouraged if you can't get it working straight away. The platform you are using is very common (STM32F4 + ILI9341) and you will be able to get it working just fine without any problems or modifications.
Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions. We are happy to help where ever we can.

Thanks for you help.

I will use chibi os. And 8-bit mode of lcd. 

9 hours ago, Joel Bodenmann said:

The most important thing is not to get discouraged. These systems are very complex and the fact that the µGFX library runs on virtually any system with tons of different configuration options doesn't make it easier

Thanks for you support. After completion of my project, defenately i ll post that on forum.

In that case we strongly recommend that you start off with a ChibiOS/RT only project. ChibiOS comes with tons of ready-to-run demos. In fact, there is at least one demo that works out-of-the-box on the STM32F401RE Nucleo board. Take that demo, make sure that it works. Then add µGFX to it by following this guide (or alternatively this one if you are using the ChibiStudio IDE). You can have a look at the various examples in the /boards directory of the µGFX library to learn how to write a board file. In your case, most notably these two might be interesting:

• /boards/base/FireBull-STM32F103-FB: ChibiOS with parallel port display using GPIO bit-banging
  • /boards/addons/gdisp/board_SSD1963_fsmc.h: ChibiOS with parallel port display using FSMC

As mentioned in the previous post we strongly recommend hooking the display up to the FSMC peripheral if possible. That is a lost easier and a lot faster at the same time. Back in the old days where µGFX was still a ChibiOS-only library I actually wrote a very extensive guide about using the FSMC interface to interface SRAM and LCDs for ChibiOS which you might want to read: http://wiki.chibios.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=chibios:community:plans:external_ram

Hi,

I got configured one project. But facing some problem in initial phase. Following are the my attached configured files.

And i got some error which are saying multiple definition but i searched my project i got only one definition. 

I am configuring ili9341 tft in 8-bit.

controller is stm32f103rb.

OS is Chibios.

TFT.7z

• 2 weeks later...