Code size and speed - Embitz vs makefile

MobileWill

Just wanted to mention that now that Eclipse is working. uGfx is way faster and the code size is smaller. Because of the nature of my project I can see that it is also using way less power, 30mA less. So strange I would of never excepted that. I guess the speed is why power usage is less. Completing threads faster so more idle time. 

I don't know if it was because I used Eclipse or just the Makefile vs Singlefile inclusion with Embitz.

Once I get Embitz working with the Makefile I will have to compare. 

So glad I spent the extra time to get the Makefile working. ;)

Edited by MobileWill

There should be no difference between using EmBitz or Eclipse if both use Makefile and the same compiler. These IDEs are just glorified text-editors, really.

It's difficult to track that issue down. Can you post a picture of the display as well as the information about the compiler that you use for each IDE? You get that by executing this:

arm-none-eabi-gcc --version

So strange. I copied the toolchain from Eclipse to Embitz and then had to tweak some compiler and assembler options for it to even compile. I added -mthumb and -Dthumb.

Seems to work fine now, no display issues. This only happened with -O2 in case someone else runs across this. I hope Embitz gets another update soon. 

• 2 months later...
On 2/21/2016 at 16:25, MobileWill said:

the compiler must be the the differenace.

Eclipses comes with 4.9.3 and Embitz comes with 4.8.4.

In emBitz you can point to an discret installed arm-toolchain. You are not limited to the included arm toolchain. It's very easy to switch between them.