uGFX - Linux - g++

Adam M

Hello!

Thanks for the effort you have put into uGFX! It has made setting up a UI from scratch MUCH simpler! 

CPU - armv7

OS - Ubuntu 16.04

On to the issue at hand - I would like to use the g++ compiler to build uGFX so that I can link in my own C++ source. I have my own Makefile that builds uGFX under gcc without issue, and I have linked in my own C code at this point. However, I now need C++ for some higher-level functionality code that we have. When I shift the compiler over to g++ I get a set of errors from within uGFX.

Here is one set as an example:

ui/resources/ugfx/src/gdisp/gdisp.c: In function ‘void gdispGControl(GDisplay*, unsigned int, void*)’:
ui/resources/ugfx/src/gdisp/gdisp.c:2877:29: error: invalid cast from type ‘void*’ to type ‘orientation_t {aka orientation}’
     switch ((orientation_t) value) {
                             ^
ui/resources/ugfx/src/gdisp/gdisp.c: In function ‘bool mf_drawline_callback(mf_str, uint16_t, void*)’:
ui/resources/ugfx/src/gdisp/gdisp.c:3352:105: error: cannot convert ‘justify_t {aka justify}’ to ‘mf_align_t’ for argument ‘4’ to ‘void mf_render_aligned(const mf_font_s*, int16_t, int16_t, mf_align_t, mf_str, uint16_t, mf_character_callback_t, void*)’
     mf_render_aligned(GD->t.font, GD->t.wrapx, GD->t.wrapy, GD->t.lrj, line, count, drawcharglyph, state);
                                                                                                         ^
ui/resources/ugfx/src/gdisp/gdisp.c: In function ‘bool mf_fillline_callback(mf_str, uint16_t, void*)’:
ui/resources/ugfx/src/gdisp/gdisp.c:3359:105: error: cannot convert ‘justify_t {aka justify}’ to ‘mf_align_t’ for argument ‘4’ to ‘void mf_render_aligned(const mf_font_s*, int16_t, int16_t, mf_align_t, mf_str, uint16_t, mf_character_callback_t, void*)’
     mf_render_aligned(GD->t.font, GD->t.wrapx, GD->t.wrapy, GD->t.lrj, line, count, fillcharglyph, state);
                                                                                                         ^

I was getting ready to barrel into the source and get it running under g++ - but I thought I better ask if that effort has already been done - or if I'm missing something simple.

Is uGFX already setup to work under g++?

I should add - I am using uGFX v2.8

Edited by Adam M

You are mixing up compiling and linking.

uGFX must be compiled with gcc as it is written in C. It will quite happily link with C++ and the header file ugfx.h is fully C++ compatible.

If you are using make this is really simple...

.c files get compiled with gcc

.c++ files get compiled with g++

Link with g++

While C and C++ are similar languages they are not totally the same.

Thanks for the reply inmarket. Just finished building our make system from the ground up - and didn't consider switching compilers and then linking with g++. I modified our makefile to build uGFX with gcc and our own source with g++, then linked with g++ as you suggested and everything is up and running now.