CAN Dashboard Project

motorsportmaker

Hi,

I currently use a 4DSytems 5" display with a Teensy 3.2 board and Waveshare can transceiver. It seems to work quite well, but I feel restricted with what I can do due to the amount of time it takes to send data to the screen via a serial connection.

I'm not precious about what microcontroller I use, the only reason I opted for the Teensy was it's form factor and the fact it had CAN.

What would you guys suggest I do to move away from a serial HMI type display, and the expense of a 4DSystems display? Happy to consider anything.

Many Thanks

Tim

U9hyCqn.png.8225f94abc8b9515eb97a1b0c1319864.png

Edited by motorsportmaker

Hello & Welcome to the µGFX community!

There are many factors to consider such as the resolution and color space you want. The more pixels you have to control the more resources you'll need (memory, CPU, bandwidth, ...). For something of this size the newer STM32F4 families or the STM32F7/STM32H7 microcontrollers are extremely popular. If you're not very experienced I'd stay away from the STM32H7 for the moment as support for it seems to be quite scarce on all levels (including debugger support). The STM32F7 is by now pretty well established but tends to be a lot harder to work with compared to an "old school" STM32F4 due to newly introduced technologies such as the memory cache which can lead to many sleepless nights: http://www.chibios.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=chibios:articles:cortexm7_dma_guide 

The STM32F429/STM32F439/STM32F469 are extremely well supported and will most likely provide enough resources for what you're after. Also, you can get various development boards for those with displays so you can get yourself familiar with all the software components before you have to mess with custom hardware.