Yocto Embedded Linux

Stephan van Kampen

For a project we are using a yocto embedded linux bsp and are deciding to use the commercially licensed ugfx library for this.
Has somebody succeeded in integrating the ugfx library within a openembedded recipe using the preferred layered makefile approach?

At this moment I created a customized yocto-gcc.mk file. I manged to build the demo application.
The first time always results in a segmentation fault at the beginning of the application, after that I can start it normally (also other ugfx applications).

Perhaps it would be great to have default support for Yocto, as this is more or less the standard embedded linux environment nowadays.

• 2 weeks later...

I found the cause:

The call ioctl(fb, FBIOGET_FSCREENINFO, &fb_fix) in board_framebuffer.h sets initially the wrong line-length (fb-fix.line-length). The first time the call returns 640 for the line-length, the second time 1280. This has effect in the memory allocated for the framebuffer. It tries to write to memory which is not allocated, resulting in a segmentation fault.

So the question is: Why does ioctl(fb, FBIOGET_FSCREENINFO, &fb_fix) returns different values?

For now I can work around this to fix the screen size and not let the board init retrieve its settings.

If I understand you correctly the return value of the ioctl() function call is different from your observation. Could you check the value of fb-fix.line-length before passing it to the ioctl() function?

Also, I am bit surprised that you mentioned multiple calls to the framebuffer driver initialization. I don't have all the code in my mind but that seems a bit fishy - are you using two displays?