Basic information

Guest Vito

Hi to all,

i'm Vito and i'm writing because i need to understand the potentiality of the uGFX:

1. uGFX use GPU on raspberry pi to rendering the graphic?
  2. it possible to personalize all graphic element?
  3. Support touch gesture?

i'm searching a valid alternative to QT in embedded professional world and at first look uGFX seams a good solution.

thx

V.

uGFX works on the raspberry pi. It however uses the CPU not the GPU for rendering due to datasheets for the GPU being unavailable. You can however use the Xlib uGFX driver to indirectly use the GPU via the closed source X driver. In practice it is likely the CPU rendering will be faster anyway except for things like video decoding.

Personilisation of all GWIN graphic elements is possible as part of the uGFX design. Custom controls can also be easily built. All the uGFX source code is also publically available.

Yes, uGFX supports touch but only single point touch. As such it understands simple single point guestures. Anything else needs to be decoded by your application. In practice very few controllers are capable of supporting more than single touch anyway particularly in the embedded environment.

9 hours ago, inmarket said:

uGFX works on the raspberry pi. It however uses the CPU not the GPU for rendering due to datasheets for the GPU being unavailable. You can however use the Xlib uGFX driver to indirectly use the GPU via the closed source X driver. In practice it is likely the CPU rendering will be faster anyway except for things like video decoding.

OK probabily we need to decoding video for particular animation so it necessary to use GPU.

Personilisation of all GWIN graphic elements is possible as part of the uGFX design. Custom controls can also be easily built. All the uGFX source code is also publically available.

We have a diseginer that drow the interface.

Yes, uGFX supports touch but only single point touch. As such it understands simple single point guestures. Anything else needs to be decoded by your application. In practice very few controllers are capable of supporting more than single touch anyway particularly in the embedded environment.

Not all correct more controller like the focaltech support more than one point and more product that we are made with stm32 and our internal graphic library support the multitouch. We wont to use in next project an OS because we need to controll 7" or 10" with animation etc.

I think that unfortunately I will have to continue looking for.

Unfortunately QT has a high management cost while uGFX seemed perfect. I know you should not but if you know a similar solutions and you could talk about it you would make me a great fable. The alternative I'm considering is to accomplish all the interface in html5 but I need a browser that starts without X and supports webkit, but I still have not found anything that suits my need

THX 

It sounds like you want the full power that X (with or without Qt) can provide. Unfortunately that doesn't come without resource cost. uGFX obviously doesn't come with all those features but it also doesn't come with the same resource cost either. The same will apply for whatever system you use - it is always a compromise between the features you want and the cost of those features.

BTW, video is posdible with uGFX particularly using our streaming API. It just won't be as efficient as the GPU decoding and displaying the video directly. Even using GPU for decoding, tranfering to CPU RAM and then streaming will add overhead. You could however use uGFX to reserve a window area and then use GPU decoding and rendering within that window. Whether that is worthwhile or not depends on the resource issues that your application requires.

Note that no windowing system other than X will allow you to use the GPU on the raspberry pi. That is because that is the only aolution that the closed source GPU driver has been made available for although I believe there are efforts being made to reverse engineer how it works.