pacikku

uGFX tutorial video

10 posts in this topic

Hello.
I'm a hobbyist coming with some mBed and NXP LPC17xx experience.
Have an STM32F469i-Discovery ( I know its unsupported at the moment, but I hope to see how it's done for the STM32F746 which is already supported, and port it).

Completely new to uGFX, and am trying to wrap my head on how to configure and make everything run.
I've been through most of the uFGX Wiki.
Built a test screen with a button, slider and progress bar, but stuck how to configure and import in my IDE ( uV5).
Yes.. been through https://wiki.ugfx.io/index.php/Using_Keil_µVision_5_MDK-ARM

Most of the info I found is unrelated to uGFX 0.15, and the headers generated are different... especially gfxconf.h

So I'm quite lost and going in circles.

Tried trawling through YouTube, I couldn't find a handholding walk trough tutorial on how to get from A to Z.
Anyone know of a good spoonfed tutorial which covers uGFX and uV5 ??

Edited by pacikku
error correction

Hello @pacikku and welcome to the µGFX community!

When building a project yourself we strongly recommend starting off with a project that doesn't include the µGFX library at all. A very simple "Hello world!" application (eg. a blinking LED project) will do. Once you have that running you can follow the guide that you linked which explains how to add the µGFX library to a working project. Unfortunately we can't provide a complete guide which explains how to setup the entire Keil µVision project as there are simply too many different targets, configurations and other options. We lack the man power to cover every possible combination.
Please don't  hesitate to ask if you are facing any problems in integrating the µGFX library into your Keil µVision project - we are happy to help wherever we can.

I guess the key here is that you understand that unlike tools like CubeMX the µGFX-Studio doesn't generate a complete project for you that you can just import into Keil µVision. Everything the µGFX-Studio generates is high-level µGFX application code that is completely portable. The generate code can be copy-pasted into any running µGFX project. If you like to automate the process you can have a look at the post-generation scrips which allow you to setup scrips which automatically copy the generated files into your existing Keil µVision project but we strongly recommend setting up everything manually first. If you are further interested into automating your workflow later on you can take a look at this great post from our community member @king2 where he describes his workflow while working on a productive project using the µGFX library and the µGFX-Studio:

Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any specific questions. We are happy to help wherever we can.

@Joel Bodenmann, Thanks for your reply.
Of course, I have already setup the uV5 toolchain and running the STM32F469 and using its LCD with basic BSP funstions like:

BSP_LCD_SelectLayer(0);
    BSP_LCD_Clear(LCD_COLOR_WHITE);
    BSP_LCD_SelectLayer(1);
    BSP_LCD_Clear(LCD_COLOR_BLACK);
    BSP_LCD_SetTransparency(0, 0);
    BSP_LCD_SetTransparency(1, 100);

etcetera, drawing circles, squares.... and all works good. So I know that my LCD is properly initialized, all clocks and peripherals are running correctly.
This is the basic project (Clean) which I am trying to attach uGFX generated code to it... and not succeeding.

Will try a bit more, and when I give up, I'll post here again.

Sad that there is not a generic simple video containing the processes you need to make, generate, integrate into an IDE ( Could be uv5 or eclipse for all i care ) and see the code running on an actual LCDscreen. Or I am not looking deep enough.

While we have wiki articles as previously referenced, we don't have videos of the same. It is all a matter of time. Videos take longer to create and edit and generally contain less detail than a wiki article so our efforts have concentrated on those (and writing the actual code).

Perhaps someone would like to take up the task of creating some videos for us?

By the way, I would suggest starting with a STM429i-Discovery project and port from there. There will be several Keil projects for that platform already in existence. We may even have one in the download section of the website but if not a google search should find one.

7 hours ago, pacikku said:

Sad that there is not a generic simple video containing the processes you need to make, generate, integrate into an IDE ( Could be uv5 or eclipse for all i care ) and see the code running on an actual LCDscreen. Or I am not looking deep enough.

As @inmarket already mentioned the main reason for this is time. Making videos takes many times longer than writing the same as a wiki article. Adding new information over time is also something that is not (easily) possible with videos and when the software components receive updates (eg. a new Keil µVision or a new Eclipse version) we'd have to create a new video or create a  "what is different article".
Doing all that is of course possible as shown by other companies but we currently simply lack the man power to tackle these tasks. It's something that is on our todo list and we are currently expanding our business but unfortunately these things are very low priority compared to writing proper articles.

For the time being we recommend you to simply ask the questions you have in this forum. This way other people with the same or similar problems can benefit too and we can see where the existing documentation is unclear and needs more information or a complete rework.

On 01.12.2016 at 05:30, inmarket said:

While we have wiki articles as previously referenced, we don't have videos of the same. It is all a matter of time. Videos take longer to create and edit and generally contain less detail than a wiki article so our efforts have concentrated on those (and writing the actual code).

Perhaps someone would like to take up the task of creating some videos for us?

If you want ; i can make a sample video for keil project.( sample project)

4 minutes ago, RoboCix said:

If you want ; i can make a sample video for keil project.( sample project)

Community contributions like that are always greatly appreciated. :) 

Thank you very much for your contribution. We appreciate it a lot.
We should probably put things like this at a central location.

Are videos a thing that would be generally of interest? They are a lot more work and a lot harder for us to maintain than wiki articles, but if that's what people prefer we are open to adapt.