smv rec

Studio Fonts

Hi,

Font "DejaVu Sans 16 Anti-Aliased" looks different in Studio v0.13. The same font looks better in Studio v0.12.

Any information to fix the above would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers. 

Did you compared how it looks in Studio itself or in preview?

My fonts still the same in preview and in hardware..

Edited by king2

Hello and welcome to the community!

An issue the previous version of the uGFX-Studio had were that the fonts in the studio don't have the same size as the ones in the uGFX application. That is of course a big big big issue and renders the designer nearly useless. The problem is caused by the fact that the Qt library that is used to build the uGFX-Studio uses a font engine that uses points for font sizes (which is what all desktop-grade software would do) while the uGFX font engine uses pixel based font heights.
The problem that you have with point based font heights is that you don't know how big the font will be. A font doesn't look good at any size. The font engine will basically take a size that looks good and that is near the specified point size. For a use like uGFX that is not really suitable and that is why our font engine is pixel height based. This means that the font in the studio can be too big or too small compared to the actual result (it seems like they usually scale up, not down).
Anyway, it turns out that it's possible to tell Qt to use pixel based font sizes as well. However, the documentation mentions that this is discouraged for different reasons - mainly for the fact that it won't always look nice. But for what the studio is used it seems like it's more important to have a matching font size instead of a nice looking font. This is why we decided to go with the pixel based approach for the v0.13 release.

If you run the preview which will actually build a native uGFX application and therefore use the uGFX font engine you can see that it will look much better in real live. Check out this screenshot that was taken from a project created by our community member king2.king_02.thumb.png.d00c5d46facde707f5c33f

I think that for the v0.14 release we should add an option to the preferences so the user can choose whether he prefers quality or a matching size.

I couldn't open existing Studio project (created in studio-v0.12) in Studio v0.13.

So I started to create one from the start and noticed that Font "DejaVu Sans 16 Anti-Aliased" looks different in Studio v0.13.