MCUFont Glyph Character Codepoint Mix-Up

jared.olson

Hi,

My company is using uGFX for a project in which we need to translate and display all of our text in a variety of languages. Right now I am working on the Simplified Chinese text, and have encountered a strange bug with MCUFont that I am wondering if anyone else has encountered or is aware of. The problem I am having is that certain, seemingly arbitrary, Chinese glyphs are displaying on my screen as completely different Chinese glyphs. For example, if I attempt to print the string "共2页", on my screen it will appear as "2页", where the first glyph is different but the rest match correctly. As I said, this only happens with certain glyphs, maybe 1 out of 30, if I had to make rough guess. I am using the MCUFont binary on Linux (Ubuntu running on VMware virtual machine), and the font I am converting is Google's Noto Sans CJK SC - Light. However, I had similar (but worse) issues trying to use Microsoft's SimHei font. The last detail I will note is that some of the glyphs that are of issue seem to be fixed by using a different font size, but the issue isn't isolated to a specific size. So far I have noticed it with sizes 14 and 16. It's possible it is affecting other sizes as well.

Has anyone else run into this or know of a potential solution?

Thanks!

Given that this seems to be font size dependant my guess is that it is the encoder having the problem as the decoder built into uGFX is font size agnostic.

Other than saying that, I have not heard of similar problems. Perhaps try using the win32 version of the encoder and also try the online converter to see if they give the same result.

There have been minor bugs fixed over time so also check that you are using the latest version from the repository.