Micropython Name Badge

paxx

After seeing the badges that they gave at the EMF2016 in a video on Computerphile, I've been dying to get my hands on one. I would love it if you guys could put some online so I could purchase it, or perhaps a guide as to how to put one together and where you could get the appropriate components.

Thanks!

Hello @paxx and welcome to the µGFX community!

We have not been involved into the development of the amazing EMF2016 badge. It's @mbrej who developed the microPython wrapper fro µGFX. We don't have any badges that we could hand out or anything. In fact, we are still waiting for the two that we were promised :D 

If somebody (or the entire community) would be interested in developing a similar device, we would definitely be in for the ride. I guess the easiest way to achieve this is to pick a platform supported by microPython (eg. STM32) and build up from there. @mbrej mentioned that he's looking forward pushing the uGFX wrapper upstream to the microPython repository. I'm not sure what the progress on that is - but he's currently definitely very busy.

There are a few hundred badges that are left over and will be sold, unfortunately the guy who has them all has not been able to arrange the sale or shipping of them yet. 

If you wanted to try to make your own ugfx and micropython board, micropython already has support for the STM32F429 discovery board. While I have not had enough time to push the ugfx wrapper upstream or make it generic for the different supported boards, there should not be too much work to modify our fork to work with the 429 discovery board. I think the only additions which will need to be made are drivers for the screen.

After all the spare badges have sold, if there is enough interest we hope to do another run of boards with micropython, ugfx and wifi, however there are no plans for this currently.