new driver, what about write_CMD, write_data?

LGKev

Hi!

Thank you for making a super cool library thats open source. I have been reading through the tutorials and have written a few of the functions similar to the SSD1306 driver but would like to use an MSP432.

With baremetal I can load a bitmap to the screen, so I can talk to the device with the MSP432 and the given driver (most likely a IL3820). 

My display is SPI and so I need to be able to have write_Cmd and write _data toggle pin states high/low. I am not sure how if I implement these or if your library does. I have to define pins for the chip select (CS) and the D/C (data command) pins.  So if I don't write those two functions where are they defined / how do I define pins, and If I do write them do they go into the gdriver.c?

Thank you in advance and I hope my question makes sense.

Kevin

I saw this and this which essentially doing what I want to do, write a new driver. 

So my question is there are sometimes other include files like in that first post they have 

#include <device.h>

and so i assume device.h would define LCD_RST_Write(); prototype correct? so If I already have those written I just need to do an include?

I really hope I can contribute back to you guys! This is i think? the first epaper porting so it would be so cool to help out!

Just to clarify: The driver file (eg. gdisp_lld_ILI3820.c) will only call functions like write_data() and write_cmd(). However, the implementation of those functions need to be in the board file (eg. board_ILI3820.h). In the implementation of those functions in the board file you'll access your microcontroller's peripherals to talk to the display controller. Never access pins or SPI stuff directly from the driver file!

Thank you for clarifying! I was using a version of Eclipse provided by TI and ran into a few issues with compilation, some error like "cannot open ugx.h" "cannot open ugfxconf.h" I wasn't sure what I should do because the guide says to exclude everything except the makefile.c and after that I tried to allow various files or include them in the paths and kept getting more errors. Before I go down the rabbit hole of setting up a fresh eclipse environment for my msp432p401r micro, do you think I did something else wrong? I am using texas instruments code composer v7 with gcc as the compiler. oh! and trying to build gave me a warning ""You are using an un-tested compiler. Please report any compile errors or warnings on the ugfx forum"

here is a copy of my git repo. I tried a few different ways to get it to compile without luck. But I did try the steps on your eclipse guide. 

is there a post similar to mine that I can read up on to compare notes? Thank you for the help and great Open Source code!